Saturday, May 20, 2006

Why would scribbledideas be interesting to read?

I started scribbledideas to better engage in the global discussion that is the internet. I hope to use this forum to post thoughts and information on some of my professional activities, solicit feedback from consumers of technology I have a hand in at my day job, and perhaps throw out an occasional review of a good cigar or perhaps even a good scotch.

For the most part these days, my development efforts focus on Eclipse or Eclipse-based commercial products produced by IBM. In the open source arena, my most recent contribution is the Common Navigator Framework, but before that I had a hand in many of the visceral frameworks in the Eclipse Web Tools Platform (WTP) relating to project structuring, EMF model management, and J2EE tooling. Currently, I am one of several IBM committers to the new Eclipse Services Oriented Architecture (SOA) Tools Platform.

I've been a Java developer for about seven years in various domains from assembly line management software, to enterprise Business to Business communcations, to Eclipse-based desktop software. My interests these days are in the design of solid, robust Application Programming Interfaces (API) and encapsulated, evolveable frameworks.

As an undergrad, I participated in several student research competitions, including taking First Place in the ACM/SIGCSE International Student Research Competition, twice (2001 and 2003); and First (2001) and Third (2003) respectively in the ACM Grand Finals International Student Research competitions. I was fortunate to be able to particpate in these activities as part of the research group run by my undergrad advisor, Hayden S. Porter, of Furman University, where I received a B.S. in Computer Science in 2003. Currently, I am pursuing an M.S. in Computer Science part time from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

My outside interests (as I alluded to before) center around watching boxing, fine bourbon or scotch, and cigars. I also like grilling meat over fire and cooking. Of course, these activities are always enhanced with good music or if carried out at fine restaurants, jazz clubs or cigar cafes.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home